By Sarah Brenner, JD
Director of Retirement Education
Follow Us on X: @theslottreport

What do you get when community property mixes with your IRA? Well, you will discover that the results can be confusing. Here are some facts every IRA owner should know.

Community Property States

The community property system has been adopted by nine states: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin. Alaska has adopted an optional community property system. Are you off the hook when it comes to community property if you currently live in another state? Not so fast. Society is increasingly mobile. It is not uncommon during a lifetime to move to and from community property states.

How Community Property Works

Community property is everything a husband and wife own together. In general, this includes all money earned and property acquired during the marriage. How do your IRAs fit in? Assets held in an IRA will be community property to the extent that contributions were made to the account and earnings accrue during the marriage.

It’s important to keep in mind that community property rules can vary from state to state. For example, California community property law is not the same as Arizona community property law.

When are community property issues likely to come up with your IRA? Well, generally, there are two significant times where you might encounter these issues as an IRA owner. When it comes to determining who gets your IRA after a divorce or death, community property rules will come into play.


In community property states, a spouse may have a community property interest in the other spouse’s IRA. By doing a trustee-to trustee transfer, this interest can be moved from one spouse’s IRA to the other spouse’s IRA after a divorce without negative tax consequences. You will need a court order for this transfer to be done.

Naming IRA Beneficiaries

Since community property law can dictate who gets your IRA after death, it must be taken into account when you name a beneficiary on an IRA. In a community property state, state law may recognize your spouse as the beneficiary of some or all of your IRA. Therefore, you may need to get your spouse’s written consent to name someone else as the beneficiary of your IRA.

Some IRA custodians have beneficiary designation forms with language for spousal consent to name a non-spouse beneficiary. Others do not. Even if a beneficiary designation form does include spousal waiver language, some experts caution against relying on it. To be sure that all goes as planned, the safest approach is for you and your spouse to each have your own separate counsel and for an experienced attorney to draft the necessary documents.

Expert Advice Needed

Now you know that community property can raise some complicated issues where your IRA is concerned. It is best to be prepared. If you have questions about how community property rules affect your IRA, a good place to start is a consultation with a knowledge financial or tax advisor who knows both the IRA rules and the property transfer rules.


Ready To Take



For more information about any of our products and services, schedule a meeting today.

Or give us a call at (803) 242-1050

Investment advisory services offered through Foundations Investment Advisors, LLC (“Foundations”), an SEC registered investment adviser. Nothing on this website constitutes investment, legal or tax advice, nor that any performance data or any recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, investment or planning strategy is suitable for any specific person. Personal investment advice can only be rendered after the engagement of Foundations, execution of required documentation, and receipt of required disclosures. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. Any past performance is no guarantee of future results. Advisory services are only offered to clients or prospective clients where Foundations and its advisors are properly licensed or exempted. For more information, please go to https://adviserinfo.sec.gov and search by our firm name or by our CRD #175083.

 ADV Part 2A & Form CRS              Privacy Policy             Form CRS