A Safer Retirement and Environment – What We’re Implementing to Help Keep You Safe: READ MORE

Here at Chadmere Capital Inurance and Financial Services, we are adhering to state and local guidelines in order to protect both the health and safety of clients and staff. Keeping our clients and staff safe is our highest priority and we’re taking all appropriate measures to ensure a safe environment. Should you prefer to not meet face-to-face, we are continuing to serve our clients through virtual settings such as Zoom or phone calls.

We look forward to continuing to help individuals and families achieve their ideal retirements.

Chademere Capital Insurance and Financial Services
(803) 242-1050




Can you do trustee-to-trustee transfer from an Annuity Trad IRA to Mutual Fund Trad IRA?


Yes. If you own a traditional IRA that has invested in an annuity, you can make a transfer from it to another traditional IRA to be invested in mutual funds. And the best, safest way make the move is through a trustee-to-trustee transfer, so funds go directly from one IRA to the other.

Be sure to check the terms of the annuity before making the move, however. The contractual terms of an annuity may impose fees or penalties if the annuity is cashed in before a specified date. Also, be aware that some custodians may be resistant to doing a trustee to trustee transfer even though it is clearly allowed by the tax rules. It may be helpful to keep in mind that a check payable to the new IRA custodian for the benefit of your IRA will still qualify as a transfer even if the check is sent to you and you deliver it to the new IRA custodian.


A taxpayer is over 70 ½ who is still employed full time is able to delay required distributions from her current employer’s 401(k).

Could this taxpayer in 2018 (1) avoid RMDs since there is no balance in an IRA as of 12/31/17 and (2) still make QCDs by making an in service rollover to an IRA during the year (up to $100,000) and distributing the full amount transferred to the IRA to charity in 2018?




Hello, Elliot:

An individual who has reached age 70 1/2 and has funds in a traditional IRA can use them to make a Qualified Charitable Distribution. Assuming the funds were properly transferred into the IRA through a permitted in service distribution from the 401(k), the fact that they originally came from a 401(k) is not a problem. Nor is it a problem that no RMD is due for the IRA for the year.

So the answer is yes, the transaction you describe is permitted. It is a way to indirectly make a gift to charity using funds in a 401(k).


Ready To Take



For more information about any of our products and services, schedule a meeting today.

Or give us a call at (803) 242-1050

Investment advisory services offered through Foundations Investment Advisors, LLC (“Foundations”), an SEC registered investment adviser. Nothing on this website constitutes investment, legal or tax advice, nor that any performance data or any recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, investment or planning strategy is suitable for any specific person. Personal investment advice can only be rendered after the engagement of Foundations, execution of required documentation, and receipt of required disclosures. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. Any past performance is no guarantee of future results. Advisory services are only offered to clients or prospective clients where Foundations and its advisors are properly licensed or exempted. For more information, please go to https://adviserinfo.sec.gov and search by our firm name or by our CRD #175083.

 ADV Part 2A & Form CRS              Privacy Policy