A Safer Retirement and Environment – What We’re Implementing to Help Keep You Safe: READ MORE

Here at Chadmere Capital Inurance and Financial Services, we are adhering to state and local guidelines in order to protect both the health and safety of clients and staff. Keeping our clients and staff safe is our highest priority and we’re taking all appropriate measures to ensure a safe environment. Should you prefer to not meet face-to-face, we are continuing to serve our clients through virtual settings such as Zoom or phone calls.

We look forward to continuing to help individuals and families achieve their ideal retirements.

Chademere Capital Insurance and Financial Services
(803) 242-1050



By Andy Ives, CFP®, AIF®
IRA Analyst


Is it possible to take the RMD portion of an inherited traditional IRA and convert that each year as the distribution is done into a Roth IRA?  Or, is the only way to accomplish this is to take the distribution and then make a contribution, which limits the amount I can put in each year?





No, RMDs from an inherited IRA cannot be converted to a Roth IRA. “Required minimum distributions” are just that, required. Whether from an inherited IRA or from an IRA by the original owner, they must be removed from the account. RMDs are considered to be the first money distributed from an IRA and are not eligible for rollover or for conversion to a Roth IRA. Like the RMD, dollars that remain in your inherited IRA after the RMD is taken are not permitted to be converted to a Roth, either. Of course, once those monies are removed (and if you are eligible), you can turn around and make a contribution to a Roth, but the RMD and subsequent Roth contribution will be two separate and distinct transactions. You will be limited by the maximum contribution limits to a Roth IRA – currently $6,000, plus an over-50 catch-up of $1,000.


I have retired. However, my husband is still working.  He plans to contribute this year to his Roth IRA and I would like to contribute the full amount allowed as a spouse.  Do I have to open a new “spousal Roth account” or can I contribute to my already existing Roth account? Does he have to write the check contribution or do I, since he is the one still employed




You do not need to open another Roth IRA for spousal contributions – they can continue to go into your existing Roth. As long as your husband has enough earned income to cover the 2019 contributions limits mentioned in Question #1 for both of you, the maximum amount can be contributed to both spouse’s Roth IRAs.

Either of you could write the check for the spousal contribution. It does not matter whose account the money comes from as long as you file a joint federal income tax return and are otherwise eligible to contribute to a Roth.


Ready To Take



For more information about any of our products and services, schedule a meeting today.

Or give us a call at (803) 242-1050

Investment advisory services offered through Foundations Investment Advisors, LLC (“Foundations”), an SEC registered investment adviser. Nothing on this website constitutes investment, legal or tax advice, nor that any performance data or any recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, investment or planning strategy is suitable for any specific person. Personal investment advice can only be rendered after the engagement of Foundations, execution of required documentation, and receipt of required disclosures. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. Any past performance is no guarantee of future results. Advisory services are only offered to clients or prospective clients where Foundations and its advisors are properly licensed or exempted. For more information, please go to https://adviserinfo.sec.gov and search by our firm name or by our CRD #175083.

 ADV Part 2A & Form CRS              Privacy Policy