A Safer Retirement and Environment – What We’re Implementing to Help Keep You Safe: READ MORE

Here at Chadmere Capital Inurance and Financial Services, we are adhering to state and local guidelines in order to protect both the health and safety of clients and staff. Keeping our clients and staff safe is our highest priority and we’re taking all appropriate measures to ensure a safe environment. Should you prefer to not meet face-to-face, we are continuing to serve our clients through virtual settings such as Zoom or phone calls.

We look forward to continuing to help individuals and families achieve their ideal retirements.

Chademere Capital Insurance and Financial Services
(803) 242-1050



By Andy Ives, CFP®, AIF®
IRA Analyst


I recently inherited a traditional IRA from my mother. I mistakenly asked for a lump sum to be paid to me by the custodian. I realized after the fact that I wanted to set up a stretch IRA. I haven’t cashed the check yet. Can I just return it or have them stop payment on the check and change my option to an inherited beneficiary IRA?

Thank You,




Once the distribution is paid to you, you cannot roll it over to an inherited IRA. Since the custodian properly followed your original instructions for a lump-sum payout and the check was already issued, you will probably be locked into the result. There are no rules requiring the custodian to backtrack if someone changes their mind. However, this does not preclude you from seeking additional advice from a CPA or inquiring with the custodian about possible alternatives. Be aware that the ultimate decision is theirs.


Hi Ed,

I’ve been contributing the maximum for two years to my company’s after-tax sub account of my qualified 401k plan. I diligently convert those after-tax dollars to the in-plan Roth quickly to minimize tax on the earnings. The plan is keeping track of those as “2018 In-Plan Roth Conversions” and “2019 In-Plan Roth Conversions.” I am over 59 ½, so naturally I qualify for the catch-up contribution.

Yesterday I asked a plan customer service rep about the tax implications of the already-converted funds once I roll them over to my Roth IRA (which has been in place more than five years). They answered that the earnings will be taxed if they are rolled over in less than five years from the dates of conversion. I thought my Roth IRA, having already been in place more than five years, would “grandfather” the rollover of the earnings into the Roth IRA without taxation.

I have been reading on IRS.gov and can’t find any proof of my assertion. My concern is that the plan will designate those earnings as taxable when they should not be. I expect to be separated from service in September and wanted to rollover the entire 401k. (Of course, I also have pre-tax money in the plan.)  As you know, Roth 401k funds are subject to RMDs, whereas Roth IRAs are not.

Do I have to leave those funds in place for five years for each conversion year to avoid the plan administrator giving me a 1099 indicating that the funds are taxable? Or am I just wrong and must wait five years from the date of each conversion year as they said?





You can roll over any of the funds in your Roth 401(k) to a Roth IRA without any taxation at the time of the rollover.

Since it has been only two years since your first conversion to your Roth 401(k), when funds leave your Roth 401(k), it would be considered a nonqualified distribution. This means that when you roll over funds to your Roth IRA your after-tax converted funds would go into your Roth IRA as basis and your pre-tax earnings on those funds would go into the Roth IRA as earnings.

The good news is that the 5-year holding period for qualified distributions from your Roth IRA would be the 5-year period applicable to the Roth IRA. Because you have had a Roth IRA for more than 5 years and are over 59 ½, any distribution from your Roth IRA would be tax and penalty free, including the rollover dollars that recently entered the account.

To avoid complications and the required 20% withholding, it is recommended that your pre-tax dollars also be moved to your traditional IRA via direct transfer.


Ready To Take



For more information about any of our products and services, schedule a meeting today.

Or give us a call at (803) 242-1050

Investment advisory services offered through Foundations Investment Advisors, LLC (“Foundations”), an SEC registered investment adviser. Nothing on this website constitutes investment, legal or tax advice, nor that any performance data or any recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, investment or planning strategy is suitable for any specific person. Personal investment advice can only be rendered after the engagement of Foundations, execution of required documentation, and receipt of required disclosures. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. Any past performance is no guarantee of future results. Advisory services are only offered to clients or prospective clients where Foundations and its advisors are properly licensed or exempted. For more information, please go to https://adviserinfo.sec.gov and search by our firm name or by our CRD #175083.

 ADV Part 2A & Form CRS              Privacy Policy