A Safer Retirement and Environment – What We’re Implementing to Help Keep You Safe: READ MORE

Here at Chadmere Capital Inurance and Financial Services, we are adhering to state and local guidelines in order to protect both the health and safety of clients and staff. Keeping our clients and staff safe is our highest priority and we’re taking all appropriate measures to ensure a safe environment. Should you prefer to not meet face-to-face, we are continuing to serve our clients through virtual settings such as Zoom or phone calls.

We look forward to continuing to help individuals and families achieve their ideal retirements.

Chademere Capital Insurance and Financial Services
(803) 242-1050



By Andy Ives, CFP®, AIF®
IRA Analyst


I am over 70.5 and I have to take an IRA minimum distribution or else pay taxes and penalties on scheduled amount. My question is – can I take the mandatory distribution which I will pay taxes on anyway and then roll the distribution into my ROTH IRA? So far I have several YES and several NO answers. Your input would be the deciding vote for me. What say you??????





As the deciding vote, we can say unequivocally that RMDs are not eligible for rollover to another IRA and are not eligible for conversion to a Roth IRA. If you did, it would be considered an excess contribution and would need to be removed. If you have earned income and are otherwise eligible to contribute to a Roth IRA, you can certainly do so, but the RMD cannot go straight to your Roth IRA.


My question is as follows: A 58-year old is offered a HDHP from their old employer and elects to participate and pay the health premiums for the plan. The individual is retired (no earned income) and also contributes to the HSA as part of the HDHP. Are the individuals’ HSA contributions still tax deductible even though the individual is retired and has no earned income

Thank you,




In order to be eligible for an HSA, a person must be enrolled in a high deductible health plan (HDHP) to contribute, so they are good there. As for individual contributions to the HSA, they are tax deductible as an above-the-line deduction (reduces AGI), regardless of an individual’s tax-filing status or income. Earned income is not required to make an HSA contribution.


Ready To Take



For more information about any of our products and services, schedule a meeting today.

Or give us a call at (803) 242-1050

Investment advisory services offered through Foundations Investment Advisors, LLC (“Foundations”), an SEC registered investment adviser. Nothing on this website constitutes investment, legal or tax advice, nor that any performance data or any recommendation that any particular security, portfolio of securities, transaction, investment or planning strategy is suitable for any specific person. Personal investment advice can only be rendered after the engagement of Foundations, execution of required documentation, and receipt of required disclosures. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. Any past performance is no guarantee of future results. Advisory services are only offered to clients or prospective clients where Foundations and its advisors are properly licensed or exempted. For more information, please go to https://adviserinfo.sec.gov and search by our firm name or by our CRD #175083.

 ADV Part 2A & Form CRS              Privacy Policy